Lachy
Silver
Silver

Shuddering up to 1500rpm then fine??? - any help appreciated

Post by Lachy »

Ok, I have some un-educated ideas but thought some of you may be able shed some light...

Here are the symptoms:
I get a nice shudder/thumping from somewhere in the drivetrain when I'm in between about 1000 and 1500 and under load.
It happens in all gears, but disappears above 1500 and behaves like its usual very smooth self all the way to 6k :)
It may also be happening in neutral, but I just can't load it up enough by blipping the throttle.
It is only with the throttle on and under load (ie not when decelerating or VERY small throttle).

My car sometimes has had what I thought was a small misfire around the 1000-1500 range, this may still be the case and I cant tell, or it may have been my new problem all along and whatever it is just got a whole lot worse.
Everything was nice and smooth until I was going up a hill in 2nd or 3rd at around 5000 and I heard two quick thumps under the car. Not metallic, more like rubber - as if something had flung off from somewhere and bounced under the car before exiting under the back.

I have had the car for 7 years, and it has just come out of hibernation after spending the last 18 months in a shed at my parent's place, followed by a grease and oil change.

I have seen a picture in another thread where I think gearbox mounts had gone and part of the joint in front of the box was thumping against the top of the tunnel under hard acceleration.

Could this be gearbox mounts in my case? I assume that if it was, it would happen at ALL revs when the car was under heavy acceleration, not just a specific band (max torque isn't exactly at 1000-1500 anyway! :? )

Could the rubber noise have been part of a guibo joint (i think thats what its called) flying off? I imagined that if part of one of these things went then the entire joint would disintegrate, and I'd have NO drive to the gearbox??

Could id be a combination of the two, where excess play from worn mounts have put excess stress on a guibo?

Could it be a bearing failure somewhere in the driveline, thats causing a bad resonance at that frequency?

Could it be some sort of component failure somewhere in the clutch assembly? Keep in mind my problem occurs whilst driving anytime, not just coming on and off the clutch.

Could something quite simply be loose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Lachy
-- "Hey Lachy, your diff is friggin' huge!"
-- "Dan, thats the gearbox..."
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Shuddering up to 1500rpm then fine??? - any help appreciated

Post by mjr »

i think you have just answered your question, with your possibles. yes it could be all of those, and no, you wouldnt necessarily get vibration throughout the entire rev range with any of those scenarios. replace all the guibos and the box mounts.