xrad
Verde
Verde

middle guibo

Post by xrad »

anyone remember the BMW part number that fits gtv6 middle guibo...alfa ones go for almost 200$ these days...
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: middle guibo

Post by MD »

Post relocated to correct topic set .
Last edited by MD on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

ummmm,,,,,,,,BMW part number?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

x-rad,

Most non-genuine couplings that I have seen do not have a central location spider like the ones in the centre and rear of the Alfa shaft. I am not sying they don't exist, I just have never has seen any.

You can try to use alernatives up the front as it has no location spider, provided that the bolt PCD and bolt size is correct which often the problem but that problem can be addressed.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

On MY car the center disc was the one with no centering spider. The 2 halves of the shaft had the male and female centering bits. Mine is a 1983 GTV6. The disc in the center is about 1in. thick and all 6 holes are on the same bolt circle. I will measure it up at work tomorrow.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

same with me...no spider on middle guibo...hmmmm

I know there is a BMW flex disc with nearly identical spacing...and formuch cheaper....just can;t remember the model....

here is apic of one off the
BMW E34 E39 525I, 525IT OEM FLEX DISC 88-03

on ebay..just not sure of size....
Attachments
!Bj1trl!!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CIEtH5Yfp-mBLVG!VBirw~~_12.jpg
!Bj1trl!!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CIEtH5Yfp-mBLVG!VBirw~~_12.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 12650 times
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

If i remember right there were several different bmw and merc discs that were the right bolt circle, but they had the wrong size holes for the bolts...I don't remember if there was one that fit.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I have bmw middle coupling on. Its identical EXCEPT its 5mm thicker. I shortened the back end of prop to make it fit perfectly without distorting the rear coupling. Most people dont for road use. Coupling is far superior (should be for modern deisgn) . I have orderd one this week through our supplier. Will get you part number when it arrives.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

THANKS Kevin! Where did you shorten rear prop? Cut and weld by a shop or something that can be done mechanically?

BMW part number would be VERY helpful!!

also, the BMW disc is made to turn at trans speed while Alfa made to spin at engine speed. I have not heard of a BMW guibo failure at higher speed, but my experience is limited.....
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Most trannys have a 1 to 1 ratio in there somewhere and then there is overdrive for the top gear or two...so engine speed and then some...
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MR2 Zig wrote:Most trannys have a 1 to 1 ratio in there somewhere and then there is overdrive for the top gear or two...so engine speed and then some...
Yes, but how often do you hit rev limiter in top gear compared to rev limiter on each gear?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

True Mats, but how many lawyers are going to chase you around if it falls apart. bm owners are generally a moneyed lot and are/have lawyers. Then there is the reliability image of the cars that is part of how bm sells their cars (at least here in USA)...Luxury, Performance, Reliability. They have done ALOT to keep the z3-z4 subframe problem quiet (rear crossmember that holds the differential unit will litterally tear itself out of the car....m cars don't seem to have this problem).

Then there is the German over-engineering tendancy....

newer design and materials.

Several reasons I think this disc would be fine to use.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

BMW coupling is light years ahead of Alfa centre coupling (guibo) . The Alfa ones only fail after 20years so I would not complain. I cannot get an origional alfa one so I had to cut and reweld prop. Not even on my TT a centre coupling would break >.The one that did brake was an imitation BMW coupling without the reinforcing which I was conned somewhere down the line from one of my suppliers.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

if the 3.0 engine/crank is 4mm shorter than the 2.5, won't the BMW middle spacer fit fine with a little work on the center mount holes?
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

any BMW numbers , Kevin?

also, anyone doing milano style clutch , here is location for alignment tool:

http://www.clutchtools.com/receipt2.htm ... +Werks+Inc