killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Alfa 164 Q4, gearbox & diff quality info..?

Post by killaz »

Does anyone have experience regarding this particular transmission? Friend is considering to buy Alfa 164 Q4 and use it for already prepared turbo engine rated at 400Hp 500Nm.

What is it like in real life, any problems with differentials, gears, clutch..?

Any info would be really appreciated.
Thank you!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Alfa 164 Q4, gearbox & diff quality info..?

Post by la_strega_nera »

killaz wrote:Does anyone have experience regarding this particular transmission? Friend is considering to buy Alfa 164 Q4 and use it for already prepared turbo engine rated at 400Hp 500Nm.

What is it like in real life, any problems with differentials, gears, clutch..?

Any info would be really appreciated.
Thank you!
The ZF 6 speed is supposed to be bullet proof, the fun part is going to be figuring out what signals the Motronic was sending the control unit for the smart coupling thingy built into the front of the diff.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Well, first it isn't a ZF but Getrag.

There are good and bad news.

Good is that it is one of the strongest passenger car gearboxes available. This from my box mexhanic who's doing rally car boxes for living. 500 Nm is no problem and with some prepping easily > 1kNm.

A small problem is that there are NO spare parts whatsoever. One of my boxes have shot bearings and even with the SKF number and the right contact it is a dead end being a customer item. Some synchros from a Supra should work if a romour I've heard is true. There are also no manuals available for the box. Working on it is not too easy.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

If you need a box just say so... :wink:

there's a guy here in Holland and he has a few. :shock: He is famous here in Holland for 164 and 166 parts, especially v6. He stripped a few Q4's in the past years.

CMVA(monkeytail)zeelandnet.nl is his email. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I also have 5 of these boxes of which 2 are spares.....

There's a new for sale on evilaby since ages. Asking 1.5 k€ or so. More than I paid for my two last Q4's together.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

:D

Thank you guys for this info so far!

Micke, can you tell me something about differentials? They are good for mentioned torque too? (I'm specially interested in rear diff since it is made by Steyr-Puch)?

Electronic control for diff won't be a problem. This guy is serious. :)
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I never opened the rear diff. Neither do I know how much torque it can handle.
Most likely enough. It wont get that much punishment anyway as the front axle always rotates too.

We have been wondering why the Q4 has absolutely no understeer. It has light oversteer all the time and from standing still you can turn it around with the throttle like any RWD car. Maybe the continuos FWD doesn't matter as there's no LS,D whereas the rear is easy to get loose with the Torsen unit.

Making the electronic control for the 4WD shouldn't be that difficult. But you will need hydraulics including a high pressure pump.