MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Ring to Pinion Alighnment

Post by MerrilGordon »

Hi everyone,

I parted out a Milano Verde expecting to have an LSD in the transaxle. To my surprise I found an open differential there when I opened up the side cover to get ready and install extra shims.

So I'm looking for an LSD unit to go into the transaxle. Anyone in the states have one they want to sell ?

I plan on keeping the 3.55 ring but figure the rest of the components will be changed out in favor of the LSD. My concern is the unit will likely need realignment to ensure the pinion and ring wipe against each other correctly. It looks like the stub axle bearings are pressed on and they are the feature to be adjusted for correct alignment.
Has this been an issue regarding LSD installs ?
Has anyone performed a R&P alignment on a transaxle differental ?

Thanks for the input any of you can provide.

Also, was anyone ever able to install a Quaif/Torsen-Gleason differential into a transaxle car ? I know Jim K was involved, and there was talk of a group buy, but it might have fizzled after actual money commitments were required.

Thanks,
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
MD
Verde
Verde

differential

Post by MD »

Merril

I cannot directly assist you with the actual process of fitting your LSD but only have this advice to offer. I installed a fully reconditioned Twin Spark transaxle into my car. This job was done three times to get it right.

The reason? Period noise in the differential.

The gearbox worked perfect and so did the LSD but it still kept making unacceptable noise around 105 KPH. Everytime the machine shop that did the work tried to fix the problem, they pushed the noise to another speed position. Extremely frustrating and not to mention the work involved pulling the unit in-out and then apart to see what's wrong.

Fortunately it has a happy ending and the set up works just like it should now.

My only purpose about this is to forewarn you about the potential nuisance you may not have anticipated and to be sure you source the work out to someone who REALLY knows these differentials and how to set them up.

In the words of FRASIER, thanks for listening.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Merril, save yourself a whole lot of trouble and go find a proper transaxle for your car, with LSD in it (I can't think there was ONE Verde made with NO LSD??!! :? ) As for adjusting the preloads and clearances, BELIEVE me, you DON'T want to know! Even if you knew how to do it (I have the AR procedure) you need specialized factory jigs and equipment to adjust everything. Again, don't bother, it's not worth the effort.
As for the Quaife thing, I was disappointed that a whole bunch of grown-ups (us!) couldn't get around to make a group buy. Others may say its just as well, as its not perfect either: if one wheel is off the ground (fully unloaded), you have zero torque on the other one. This as I understand it ,is Quaife's only drawback.
Jim K.
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Thanks so much for the input you guys !

I have found a source for an LSD, but as you've mentioned, the alignment issues are so difficult that one may as well just go buy a complete transaxle and save on the hassle. It's issues like this where this forum can really save a lot of grief!

Best regards,
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Merril,
I also verified with Dawie - an LSD "pumpkin" from an LSD box drops right in the non LSD box...

Yes, the allignment is an issue, but it's not hard. It's just important.

I am in Houston this week and I plan on seeing Andy Garcia at Garcia Alfa Racing who did our boxes in the morning, so I will enlist some advice from him as well...

Stay tuned.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
MD
Verde
Verde

Gearbox

Post by MD »

JJ

I know that you know and other guys at the sharp end also know but for the benefit of the not so mechanically minded I would just like to add this.

Minor noise nuisance asociated with a transaxle and specifically from a differential in a race vehicle is hardly going to be an issue as it is just as likely to disappear into the noise of the exhaust and straight cut gears.

However for a road car this criteria is much more important and hence the need for a careful decision and choice of mechanics.

Having said that, I am still interested in what other information you had in mind to provide for racing applications?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Merril,

I talk with Andrew Garcia yesterday at length... He has taken many an LSD pumpkin from Milanos and dropped them into a GTV6 box WITHOUT NOISE (on the first try) and without making changes to the shims...

The issue is that he doesn't mind the outcome as these are mostly for race cars any way however, it is encouraging to know that you can - with a high degree likelyhood - get away with it.

Andrew did say that he can do it for you but that he would need the one rear housing as well...

Shipping was only 55 bucks with BAX Global to Houston.... It may be worth it.
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Thanks for the additional input ! I've noted that one can "get lucky" and not have a problem with alighnment. My source for an LSD JJ is your suggestion of Ben at Ralli-Round in Seattle. He's gotten lucky as well with dropping an LSD into a different transaxle. He uses a blueing compound to verify the wipe pattern before taking the process further. I think that's worth some labor cost to have him try his LSD into my transaxle. If the wipe pattern doesn't look good, then I'll pursue another alternative.

How does that sound? If it passes the wipe test could it still make noise? I don't want the R&P singing in my road car.

Thanks
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Merril,

Call me - 425.941.4747

John
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

If it doesn't pass the wipe test it may still be relatively easy to fix it by shimming the pinion or the crown gear, less interesting to grind the crown gear IMO...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!