Bareass
Silver
Silver

Crunching noise... then no go

Post by Bareass »

Hey all,
Yesterday i was turning a corner into a parking lot, going slowly, and i heard and felt a loud BANG! from the rear of the car
it kind of felt like i hit a pot hole.
I would get this bang when turning at first, the when taking off, and now i can have the car in gear and hear something crunching. the car won't drive, but rolls fine.

if i put the car in reverse, i hear what sounds like the revers gear spinning. but again, the car does not move.

I initially thought it was a CV Joint.
The garage i brought it to says when the car is in gear, the wheels spin while on the hoist, and he can hear the sound coming from the clutch assembly.

any ideas on what it could be?

The car is an 84 GTV6 with a Milano clutch assembly.

Thanks

Bareass
'84 GTV6 w/3.0
3.0L 24V engine stand!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Crunching noise... then no go

Post by kevin »

First guesses is spider gears or pinion. Does it do that in all forward gears . Drain gearbox oil and you will be able to recognise the pieces that flow out . Disconnect drive shafts before you tow car or put on low bed .
Also check clutch housing for any huge cracks .
Bareass
Silver
Silver

Post by Bareass »

the garage will be opening the clutch cover today.

The mechanic said that with the car in gear on the hoist, the tires spin perfectly. but he can stop them with his hands, and the tires remain stopped.

he said clutcuh operation is still working.
anything you guys know inf the clutch housing that could do this?
'84 GTV6 w/3.0
3.0L 24V engine stand!
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Drain the transmission fluid, you should be able to see if there are metal flakes in there or not.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

After re reading post I would be sure its pinion or spider gears not clutch as I had similar problem in my alfetta turbo when I turned a slow corner . The damage was done a few km before but the stresses on diff finally broke it . Don't waste time on clutch until you drain oil and see pieces
Bareass
Silver
Silver

Post by Bareass »

Absolutely is something in the rear end. Big chucks of metal are all over my drain pan
'84 GTV6 w/3.0
3.0L 24V engine stand!