Post by powermods69 »

so what is the correct oil to be used in my GTV6 2.5
Burn Rubber Not Your Soul
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: gear box oil

Post by kevin »

So ! you should try in the limited market in SA to find gear oil that has coding of API Gli 4 or API Gli 5 . You will only find a 80w90 on the shelves and make sure its an EP (extra pressure) .
If you really wanted to spend a lot order from Hilton at ats some redline 75w90 NS . Its great on the synchros and pretty good on those rare cold mornings . Technically its for an LS box but that wont make any difference . You need about 2.8 litres .
Mobil and castrol have some good EP gear oils at Midas stores
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Powermods.... some of the race guys use Liquimoly.... seems to be pretty ok
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The BMW and Scooby guys use the liquimoly but liquimoly does not have an oil for an LS , hypoid gear and synchros ( combination) ie a race transaxle box . I did ask them and they said they could bend some but then some one the forum showed us the light with the Redline 75w90nS for transaxle boxes . Don't get me wrong , liquimoly do have an off the shelf EP gearbox oil which will work in a non LS transaxle box . The Scooby front box has a cylindrical gear not hypoid gear .
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

If anybody is interested i have found a gearbox oil which is SAE75 and has the coding API Gli 4. its sold at Goldwagen distributors and is the factory spec recommended gearbox oil for the VW line, its fully synthetic, ive used it in my dads 1975 citroen DS 23 for more than 4000km and the difference was big. let me know if youre interested in more info :)
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system