junglejustice
Verde
Verde

6 Speed Getrag A La Glenwood...

Post by junglejustice »

...just how crazy is it...? :idea:
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Re: 6 Speed Getrag A La Glenwood...

Post by Andrew.b »

junglejustice wrote:...just how crazy is it...? :idea:
To modify car for fitting??

to use ??

You need Alfa six rear end - and the're getting rare now....

For less money and effort go with straight cut c/r box from UK - they WORK.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

It transformes the car though.....with out affecting the balance badly. Only a slight problem if you're racing, but the extra power you can put down safley makes up!
Andrew b
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

so how about that frount mount gb?? anyone know what kind of clutch the glenwood alfa used? some one has called to my attention using a bmw rear diff instead of alfa sei... from the pictures i have seen the alfa sei diff is not exactly a bolt on... it has a funny rear mount, no? dont get hung up on the last question, i would really like to know about the clutch- seriously.
vittorio
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

clutch?
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

My Guess on the original Glenwood TT Beast would be that it was probably a multiplate small diameter race clutch on a custom lightweigh flywheel.
If I were doing the conversion though, it'd be a simple case of using a 164 Flywheel and Pressure plate, and look for a suitable diameter disc with the BMW splines, or have a the alfa disc fitted with the BMW splines. Alternatively you could have the 164 flywheel re-drilled to suit the BMW pressure plate, which would mean you could just buy a BMW clutch kit come replacement time.

I was quoted 2/3rds the cost of a new ceram-metallic disc with the correct splines to have my worn brass button unit fitted with a new splined section to match my new input shaft when I changed over to a bigger shaft on my Ford.... so "re-pucking" and re-splining would have cost me more than a new disc.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

hmmm okay. i will be using a 350 z transmission. good ideas, thanks for the advice. now if only i could find the freakin motor! i am starting to reach a point where i cant visulaize this project anymore... i need to see motor next to transmission, etc. this is killing me.
could someone tell me whether or not the flywheel on a 164 3.0l24v is the same as other 3.0l 24v alfa motors.... i would imagine so.
Does anyone have a hook up for lightweight flywheels in europe? not seeing them around usa.
v
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

hmmm.... what if the alfa clutch measues 9 inch diamter and the z unit is just under 10? now we are talking custom flywheel with a hybrid of 164 ring gear and z sized friction plate, right? or can you think of a way to work it out??
v
ps: g-d... who is throwing monkeywrenchs!?
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

or is it now just about as effective to respline the 164 clutch disc.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I don't know...Here is the problem I have with this, it's not technical, just theological. At what point is a GTV6 no longer a GTV6. If you have an Alfa 6 diff, a BMW transmission, a 164Q motor and a big brake upgrade is it still a GTV6?

Suppose I put a Small Block Chevy motor in it. It could be lighter and far more powerful than any Alfa V6. (1000 horsepower is no longer a big deal in a SBC motor) Couple it to a late model G.M. 6 speed and a stout rear end and it would be an awesome performer. BUT WOULD IT BE A GTV6? I don't think so. It's closer to a Cobra Kit Car using some GTV6 parts than a GTV6.

For all its faults I like the GTV6 transaxle. I think with a straight cut gear set and a better pinion gear (shot peened perhaps?) it could handle about 500 horsepower. Stock it seems to handle about 300 which is far more than most of us have anyway. I think a straight cut gear set, better pinion and custom driveshaft are the way to go if you are going for an insane level of power. It's expensive but it does preserve the character of the car which I really love.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Agree with you 99% Greg. The one percent reservation is to cater for the tinckerers that lives in all of us out there. If you do not preserve the soul of your GTV6 then you do not have a GTV6, you have something else.

However, if you take a contemporary position and assume that you are the development engineer at the Alfa plant and you have been given the task of recreating the 116 GTV6.What would you change? What you do?

I think this is the hat we all like to wear and simply improve our cars a little here and there but keep the spirit of the transaxle discipline.

I have just one rule, improve on what is already there but keep the faith.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

I agree with you guys too. this will no longer be a transaxle Alfa, probably a sad thing. but my floor pan is already pretty rusty and i really was planning on doing a 24v conversion... because it is the next logical step from sohc. what can i say... everyone's doing it... i feel the dohc peer pressure. :lol:
the dedion is still going to be there so the chassis will be alfa, and the design which is one of my favorites is still unmolested guigaro.
dont worry i will still have transaxles in the family and the one i pull out from under my car will go in the garage next to the 5 i already have!
bedisdes arent straight cut gear boxes expensive? i have seen the threads. this project is being done on the cheap.... except ofcourse for the stuff like flywheel and freaking driveshaft and clutch... which alone are going to cost more than the motor, ecu, wiring, trans, and differential combined.
details aside this car is going to sound just as fabulous as the true transaxle v6's.
now if only i could figure out what to do with this clutch....
does anyone know if the 164 clutch t.o bearing is a pull type or a push?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I do think it's an exciting project, just more of a Monster Alfa than a GTV6. I like it even more knowing that it's saving a car with a rusted out floor.
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Sporttunergtv6 wrote:i feel the dohc peer pressure. :lol:
Don't you mean QOHC pressure? ;)

Come to the dark side... or at least, extra cams side.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

well you know what i mean!!! :twisted:
okay.... so the 164 gets a 235mm clutch disc and the nissan 300zx has a 240mm clutch disc with the same splines as a 350z but i am still not there.... 5mm? anything to do done there?