Are you interested in buying a tank (for $120)?

Yes
73%
No
28%

Total votes: 40

Fiorano
Silver
Silver

Post by Fiorano »

again things slip my mind
let me inform you on how the Aluminum Resevoir /expansion tank thing came about...
the originals came from a twin turbo corvette.
Lingenfelter was melting the stock corvette tanks due to turbo underhood heat... so we made an aluminum one to accomodate this problem, and as turbos showed up on more cars, well so did these tanks- and superchargers do it too. Naturally the progression has lead to many versions and lots of one offs as we have nailed down some of the billet pieces (fillers some hose neck extensions) for a quicker turnover, and the patterns and method of using aluminum to make these shapes...
and we have come to offer them not only as race parts or high performance parts, but simple replacements for stock items which degrade or simply fail over time... :idea: :D
the battle between Sir Lancelot, and Sir Lancenotenoughreally, was short lived and decidedly one sided.
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Count chood in for a tank. The old one one is still holding up, It would be good to replace it before something bad happens they have a way of doing it just when you need to least.
aralfa8589
Silver
Silver

Post by aralfa8589 »

Count me in for one. I've had no problems with either of my cars, but I could put it on the daily driver and have a spare for the garage queen.
Hugo
Silver
Silver

Expansion Tank

Post by Hugo »

Sorry,

Have I missed something?. Is there a picture available of the tank?

Hugo
RHD South African 3 Litre and LHD 156 2.4 GTD Sportswagen
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Not yet - Canton is currently working on a prototype,
When it is ready, Dave will post some pictures for us here.
Michael
1981 GTV6
John in Denver
Silver
Silver

Post by John in Denver »

Hooray! Just found the new location for this site and now the long awaited ally expansion tank is available too! It's just like Christmas! I'm going to call today and put in my order.
Fiorano
Silver
Silver

Post by Fiorano »

i can't believe the positive responses...
this is really great. I am glad one of my projects has been recieved so well, i am sure you won't be dissapointed..coming soon.
the battle between Sir Lancelot, and Sir Lancenotenoughreally, was short lived and decidedly one sided.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Any update on the new tanks, I found liquid on the outside of the crack on my plastic tank, so she is sitting and waiting on the new tank to arrive!
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I got my answer today, they have shipped, but there maybe a slight mounting problem, David said it maybe cured with plastic shims, so when mine shows up, I will let everyone else know. Here are the pics he sent!
Attachments
AlfaRomeoSidebySide.jpg
AlfaRomeoSidebySide.jpg (116.64 KiB) Viewed 12853 times
AlfaRomeo1.jpg
AlfaRomeo1.jpg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 12853 times
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Yeah, I saw my ccard had been debited so hopefully I'll get mine soon too. Can you explain the mounting problem in more detail Sam?
Michael
1981 GTV6
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Michael, from what I was told, the new tank was made from a jig that was made from the original, but someone has already received the new tank and tried to install it and the two mounts closest to the outside of the car line up, but the lower one closer to the engine did not line up, something to do with the structural reinforcement the tank fits over, from what I understand/was told, a shim or two under all three mounts should take care of this. I am ok with this as long as the additional height does not interfer with anything, I think a few rubber washers under the alum tank would be a good idea anyway for heat and scratches.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Bad news, looks like the tanks will need to go back for modification, all the mounting tabs are about an inch too high, too much to shim, unless you use a 1" spacer, but the mount closest to the engine is at an angle, so a spacer won't work. The only other mods that would make them better would be to cut an angle out of the corner below the angled mount, and maybe angle the bottom edge closest to the fender, here are some pics of it in my car, maybe you can see what I am talking about. I will call david tomorrow.
Attachments
tank1.jpg
tank1.jpg (54.56 KiB) Viewed 12826 times
Tank2.jpg
Tank2.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 12823 times
Tank3.jpg
Tank3.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 12824 times
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

One more pic
Attachments
tank4.jpg
tank4.jpg (53.78 KiB) Viewed 12822 times
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Sam,

Perhaps the 1" spacer issue is not such a big problem. Using isolation mounts may solve this. See the attached pix. Solves the paint abrasion issue. Also will prevent fatigue of the alu mounts.

The angled mount though....that'll have to be sorted.

Dave
Attachments
9376kp3l[1].gif
9376kp3l[1].gif (8.58 KiB) Viewed 12792 times
9376kp4l[1].gif
9376kp4l[1].gif (7.12 KiB) Viewed 12790 times
9376kp5l[1].gif
9376kp5l[1].gif (7.9 KiB) Viewed 12790 times
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

If we could get those about an inch and a quarter they would work, then just bend some alum stock to make an adapter for the angled mount, a hole on one end and some sort of nut on the other end for the tank mount. The space between the mounts and the mounting points is 1.15 inches, another 1/10" would raise the tank off the sheet metal of the car. And raising the tank that little is not a problem because the tank is about a 1/2" lower than the plastic one. Can you get those spacers with a sheet metal screw thread instead of the machine screw thread, at least on the side that mounts to the car?