Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You're confused? Nobody said to first go powerful na and then snail it, its one or the other from the outset.
YOU must make up your mind what you want and what you'll use it for. I usually make people dislike me when I suggest they only build what they can drive, but I'll do it again here because I firmly believe it. It sounds like you haven't made a firm decision on what you want. If you want a car for open tracks=turbo. If its short+twisty=na (thats why the M3 beat the crap out of the 1.8T in 1990, though they both had comparable power, 350-380)
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Mats wrote:
Basically build a hot N/A engine and add a turbo. :twisted:
What I meant was that it's the same mechanics that make a good engine and if you have a big turbo like that it will be possible to run wild cams because you will probably not have a lot of backpressure. Lowish compression, you don't have to drop it as low as a std turbo unless you are going to run insane amounts of boost.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Confused in a comical way Jim :lol: :lol:

"Basically build a hot N/A engine and add a turbo. " was Mats idea from an earlier post :wink:

Most of the tracks in S.A that I plan to drive it at would suit a turbo - i'll be up against some 3.7v6 gtv6, 3.7 156's and V8 fords, and porsche 911, so 4 cly turbo is the way i'm going, no 2 ways about it :D, but apart from the obvious steel rods/pistons/big turbo, i'm looking for ideas on head set up ie cam/valves/cr's as i've no real experience with the turbo motor 1.8.......

I'm looking for 350 plus, as some of the 3.7's will make that with ease.... but they'll be nose heavy :wink:

No noise limits to worry about, or Cat's, and can run leaded/unleaded high octane race fuel

has anyone played with cam profiles on the turbo motors??

more duration or lift or both?? were the results any good??

The problem is 5 need to source most of the parts in europe before I fly out to SA with all the goodies, and I dont have time to experiment whilst were building the motor out there...

:lol:
Andrew b
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Andrew.b wrote:
I'm looking for 350 plus, as some of the 3.7's will make that with ease.... but they'll be nose heavy :wink:

more duration or lift or both?? were the results any good??
Look at the area under the power curve for a good setup turbo engine, beats any N/A engine with the same max power figure any day of the week. :twisted:

More lift is very important because the std cams are cr@p, 8mm is it? :roll:
I would really like to try the JK303 profile for a big turbine engine, made for torque and not too stupid duration. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hate to be a poobah but shouldn't this stuff be in the "Race & Track Preparation " topic set. After all the end objective here is purely a track car no?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Yeah good point MD, but this thread was started before the track and race car heading.....?? how can we move the whole thing so as not to disjoint the thread??

Michael??

Anyone??
Andrew b
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hey, dont touch this thread. Getting exciting to see where this is all going.
This is the first topic I (Performance) look under to wet the appetite
before I move to Other(just kidding).
I see Andrew you have a dilema on the subject of monosleave which you have basically ruled out as you already have the motor, however can you source better quality liners if you are going that route ?
By the way, can anyone briefly give me the specs on the road 75 turbo and the track car and where was the box mounted. Being in the deep dark Africa we never saw these cars 75's or had any coverage of there racing or what they were up against. Preferably send me to another thread if its more than three lines. Dont want to interfere in this topic.
Thanks.
TurbMarc
Silver
Silver

Post by TurbMarc »

If you can understand a bit of German, check this Swiss site:

http://www.speedshop.ch/alfa.htm

PS=bHP

I can translate if needed :wink:
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Andrew,Jim`s JK303 profile will be a dismal failure in a turbo motor..

In all the turbo motors(4 cyl)that Ive done,THE STANDARD CAM worked the best! No 2 ways about it.
The ts turbo in Franco`s racer makes 400 WHEEL hp on STD PROFILE cams..

Ive got a brand new pair of 1800 75 turbo cams here...worst off than the std 10548 cam...

Im almost finished with the 20 turbo gtv here...Ill post once I know it runs...Lots of new stuff tried here..
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

For turbo applications, the best thing to do is to use something no bigger (in every sense) than the 10548 for intake and the std Turbo exhaust cam. Anything wilder and the balloon flops!
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have no idea what kind of turbos you have used but along with the LE2-Jetronic and the turbo the cams are the first thing that should hit the dumpster. The exhaust cam has ~8mm lift. Eight!! :x
I know people around here that has dropped in a set of 105.48 and done nothing else and have experienced a hugely improved engine, not strangled over 5000rpm like the std crapoila engine. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I heard two inlet cams was the way to go on the 1.8T???

Bazz, did the TS need a monoblock for 400rwhp?

I still get goosebumps at the idea of a TS revving to 8k under big boost, with a screamer pipe telling everyone to get stuffed!

FORZA AZZURRI!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yes J,Monosleeve...Genuine .A.D magnesium block..This engine has come out of the race car now and into a street Giulietta..
Race car now getting a turbo 24v 2.5 v6 :wink: