Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Nicholas
Silver
Silver

Post by Nicholas »

This is a fantastic thing to see, an engineering masterpiece. The rebuilt suspension looks fabulous. Does the nolathane bushings come as a set, I would love to install some in my car ?
Nick
GTV630
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 Alfa GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

I am not sure what bushings you are referring to. We replaced every bushing that is related to the suspension along with the wheel bearings as well. They are definately still available and I may buy another set for the future. I am just worried now that these may disappear like the rear guibo that I can not find anywere. Wish I knew what to do since this is a major problem. I also need to get the drive train center bearing as well. I will start looking for this after the 18th since I have no time to research this right now.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=35730

Cchan look here for an interesting read.
Nicholas
Silver
Silver

Post by Nicholas »

Great thread chain that. I had my entire drive shaft rebuilt and balanced as well as having the FWD section replaced due to wear for about $1000 AUD including labour. Normally I would have done the job myself but it was so cheap and easy to have it done by the guys at Frank's Pitstop in Sydney.

Cchan, the bushings I refer to are for the front control arms, upper and lower.
Nick
GTV630
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

Fantastic thread, cchan. Have you decided what wheels you will be using yet? What about some original campagnolos painted charcoal with a polished lip? or maybe black with polished lip? All black or all charcoal isn't enough contrast IMO. Or what about some 3 piece Compomotives? or Simmons? So many questions!! Probably the biggest decision yet (next to paint) as it's the first thing people will see. No pressure :lol:

Nicholas, AFAIK in Aus the polyurethane bushes are only available for the upper inner pivots. In Aus, they are available from Superpro (through Fulcrum suspensions) and also Mackay and Noltec I think.

I don't think the lower inner pivots are available in poly. Standard replacements are ridiculously expensive, like AUD85 each and you need 4!! I remember Barry posting some pics of a conversion he did to use 6 ball races per side, which was cheap and had given 6 years or so (and counting)of reliable service.

Sorry for the hi-jack cchan.
Scott.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hi Scott.venables,

I will be restoring my original campagnolos just to have them. I am not sure if they will fit over the new brakes but this will be the first thing that I will try when I have a chance to check out my Alfa again. We just finished putting the suspension on.

Finally, if you look on this thread you will see the wheels that I have went with for now. I have Team Dynamics 17 x 7.5 for now. They are black but I am still deciding if I want to go this way. The wife perfers silver. They are brand new so I still can change my mind.

Thanks.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Chan,

I advise you to think about the wheels carefully. The GTV6 goes well with a nice 5-spoke, or SZ wheels. I would personally source a set of SZ wheels. They would make the car look fantastic.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

but then not the original 16",but the 18" woooooooooooooooowwwwww
Attachments
IM001960.JPG
IM001960.JPG (88.21 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your input. I am looking at my original plan when I started on this project. It's so funny. My plan was to restore stock original. So much for plans. I have all the stock parts with matching engine numbers, transmission, etc that I am going to re furbish at a later time. Just in case I ever want to go back to stock. 8) At this point, the only thing that I am going to restore to original condition is the interior. I will be using updated leather, carpet, headliner for a more plush look. However, this is the only part that is original. I guess some people may even say this is not original since I am not using original materials but what can I say?

In regards to the wheels, I am hoping that the original wheels will fit over the new brakes and I will use these for display for those times that I want to have the car look as original as possible. For club events & maybe track events I will use the Team Dynamics since I was told these are one of the lightest wheels and should perform well. At this point I have invested so much time and $$ that I just want to actually finish my project so I can enjoy it. One can only get some much fun out of just looking at my Alfa. I need to drive it. :D
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

I remember reading your original posts. Yeah, best laid plans... I can't believe how this projects evolved.

I know what you mean about driving it. Dad and I spent 8 months building two cars into one. Before that I'd only spent 4 or so hours behind the wheel. In the end I was just about tearing my hair out!

The original Campagnolos sound nice. You might have some chance of passing it off as a 'sleeper' too which is cool. Hopefully they fit over the brakes.

Cheers,
(envious) Scott
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

rz wrote:but then not the original 16",but the 18" woooooooooooooooowwwwww
Marc, what was the cost of your wheels?
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

i think it was 3000 euro without tires :(
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

CChan,

I would be interested to know what you think of your G2 brake kit. I too am interested in a set but was a bit concerned that the front rotors are only 280mm. A lot of money considering standard old GTA 147/156's are 305mm. I believe later GTA's are even larger. Good thing about the 280mm are that 15 inch rims will fit. However, Jim K has fitted 305 mm or larger rotors for 15 inch rims too.

Cheers,
Brian
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

310mm with Brembo reds inside 15" Compomotive MO wheels. Most 15" wheels will NOT accept this size disc, you must check before buying. The 16" MO will accept 330mm (overkill).
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jim K has fitted 305 mm or larger rotors for 15 inch rims too
...yeah that's true but then JK uses Vaseline for a lot of things !! :D :D

Hey ,Bird Brains, good luck with that 24V transplant in that Greek Taxi you got. Oh yeah, and get on your bike with that book and stop thumbing through those Alfred E Neuman magazines. You're wasting your time- they have no centrefolds. :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse