Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Car, she no run

Post by Charlie Hood »

84 GTV/6

I installed a new light/turn signal switch unit. Now the car starts, runs for about 10 seconds, then dies. I am not getting juice to fuel pump.

I have juice from 88y to 88d, and the relay clicks when I open flap in the airflow sensor.

My wiring diagram shows that the hot wire comes from the fuel pump to the inertia sensor. Is this correct? I am not able to get continuity.

I wired the fuel pump to my portable jumper, and the car started and ran.

Help meeeeeee
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Re: Car, she no run

Post by Charlie Hood »

Oh there is a juntion box somewhere between the inertia switch and pump on the diagram. does anyone know where it is?
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Did you try bypassing the inertia switch? Unplug the two wires from it and tape them together, see if that does it. GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

since you just put in a new column switch, you probably loosened a connection by acident....

Or something else:
power for fuel pump runs starts at computer then to 'relay set' . From relay set to the inertia switch (pink ). Then to fuel pump (pink w/white)

This relay set may be the one located deep under dash, drivers side...or in engine bay passenger rear corner (I can't remember)

it runs ~10 seconds due to cold start injector working properly...
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Ok how do you spell embarrassed? I had juice in and out of the interia swith. What left?
Of course the wire. I had checked the connection at the inertia switch, looked great. I put new end at the fuel pump. I break in the wire maybe but wait, there is juntion box. I followed the through the firewall (on the left side) So inside under the dash, I found a socket that I seen before, but as I didn't set the other part I thought "oh well for the factory radio or?" This time I am looking for the famous pink and white wire sure enough there was the pink and white wire. Up above sure enough it was the male end.
The car sure runs good, the gas gauge is working again!
Thanks to those that pitched in.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

good for you!

wait a week and you get to fix something else!

cheers
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

I didn't have to wait a week. I was so happy to have it running. I put the fuse box back, cleaned up the car went back in the house with visions of driving it to work the next morning.
It would not even fire the next morning. Move everthing to the pick up, off to work.
Back home after work, out with the fuse box. eventually found some green wire in connector that had come loose. Hard time fining where it came from. The was the other part fastened way up under the dash. Plug it back. I'm getting really good at removing and installing the fuse box. I should a video. I could do it to some rap music.
This car really owes me so serious road miles.