xrad
Verde
Verde

Aluminum fly

Post by xrad »

Anyone have one of these performatek flywheels ?? any thoughts??

http://www.performatek.com/Alfa/Drive%2 ... 0Alfa%20V6
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Aluminum fly

Post by Greg Gordon »

e mail me.
gran turismo
Silver
Silver

Post by gran turismo »

Xrad,

I wonder how they get an adequate counterweight with aluminum. I can't tell from the pictures in your other post. Is there a picture of the counterweight side?
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

there is a steel counterbalance on the backside.

GG: I pm'd /emailed you.
gran turismo
Silver
Silver

Post by gran turismo »

I am curious how streetable a 10 lb flywheel is. Mine is about 16 lbs and I am somewhat concerned about it since it is much lighter than before. But maybe the driveshaft and rear flywheel help.
Attachments
flywheel.JPG
flywheel.JPG (22.09 KiB) Viewed 8488 times
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG (71.05 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

GranTurismo: Does you fly maintain the out of balance character, or was it just lightened ?
gran turismo
Silver
Silver

Post by gran turismo »

My machinist first determined the imbalance on his dynamic balancing machine. Then the flywheel was lightened. He then put it back on the dynamic balancing machine and drilled holes to match the imbalance before removing material (you can kind of see them in the pic).

In order to get the machinist to do this I had to provide a crank or pay him to build a mandrel. I chose to let him borrow the crank out of my 2.5.

According to the machinist this method gets the balancing pretty close but it isn't as good as balancing the entire rotating assembly.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

well, at least you did try. some people don't realize that there is the offset balance on the stock unit. I think the 2.5 and 3.0 flys also have different specs (like the front pulleys)
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

SO any verdict on aluminum flywheel. would be helpful to know the consensus is.
I do know that Andy put alot of reaserch and work into having those suckers made.
so what the dilly
Drive'm Hard
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

maybe some input from Andy?
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

With some other brand engines, I've seen people make up plate steel counterweights that sandwich between flywheel and crank. It means you don't have to worry about balance when lightening or manufacturing a light flywheel, just have to ensure the counterweight is right and bolt it in.

Regards, Andrew.
kens
Silver
Silver

Post by kens »

My aluminum flywheel experience is not with the transaxle unit under discussion. However, I do have Alfa V6 aluminum flywheel experience to share. My usage is a FWD V6 assembly that is used in a mid-engine transplant.

I took an aluminum flywheel, crankshaft etc. out for balancing services. The machinist inserted a tungsten plug into the flywheel to provide for the external balance required. Prior to putting that particular engine on the road, the flywheel was transferred to a newish 2002 V6 engine. There were launching concerns with driving the light flywheel in city traffic. Perhaps because the car is rather light, near 1000 kg., launching concerns were totally unfounded.
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

that doesn't sound like a great concern with theses cars considering that there is so much spinning mass compared to other cars, these cars are still spinning drive shaft and 30lb clutch assemblies , now if you drop in one of Richs' 10 lb 5" or 12 lb 7.5" then i think street driving will become a frustrating experience... revv revv jerk jerk jerk full attention to clutch all the time.
Drive'm Hard