Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Rush
Silver
Silver

Reintroduction - Rush with a GTV6 3.0

Post by Rush »

Hi Guys,
I've joined this forum in September 2007 http://www.alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =17&t=2619
I've mentioned at the time that i was looking for a spotless GTV6 3.0
Well, about 2 months ago, i found the car i've been searching for for the last 3.5 years.
The car belonged to a doctor who bought the car brand new in 1984. The car has a genuine 82 000km on the clock. It even came with the purchase documents, service book, owner's manual as well as a whole load of service invoices.
I heard through the grapevine about the car and that's when i decided to approach the good 'ol doctor. Lucky for me, he agreed to sell the car as the car was just standing most of the time in his garage......he was also turning 60 in three weeks time.
We've settled on a price and the following week i was the proud owner of an iconic Alfa Romeo :D
My dream has come true.......i now have the old and new GTV 3.0's parking next to one another in the garage :D
Here are some pics i took of my GTV6 3.0 at our (Cape Alfa Romeo Club) Concours d'Elegance.
Attachments
CARC Concourse 27-03-11 (30).jpg
CARC Concourse 27-03-11 (30).jpg (150.37 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
CARC Concourse 27-03-11 (31).jpg
CARC Concourse 27-03-11 (31).jpg (171.49 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
CARC Concourse 27-03-11 (34).jpg
CARC Concourse 27-03-11 (34).jpg (137.78 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (8).jpg
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (8).jpg (165.24 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
DSCN5653.jpg
DSCN5653.jpg (172.14 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
You can't call yourself a true petrolhead if you've never owned an Alfa Romeo - Jeremy Clarkson
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Reintroduction - Rush with a GTV6 3.0

Post by bteoh »

Well done......very nice car indeed.

I wish I could find something like this......If you or Kevin come across one, let me know :)

Cheers
Rush
Silver
Silver

Post by Rush »

Thanks bteoh, i will certainly keep you in mind if something pops up.
I believe there are a few South African GTV6 3.0's over there......do you know how many are there ?
You can't call yourself a true petrolhead if you've never owned an Alfa Romeo - Jeremy Clarkson
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

you are sooooo lucky :shock:
nice looking car!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Fantastic, and I love those hoods.

Greg
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Rush ,thats a beauty . It has the straightest bumpers I have ever seen on a South african GTV. That car is so original judging from that airintake pipe on the right. The left one came with flexi hose . These GTV 3.0's are becoming impossible to find - for a good or semi decent one.
Rush
Silver
Silver

Post by Rush »

Thanks Kevin, the first thing I've asked the doc was the condition of the bumpers. The next question was the condition of the dashboard.
The reason for the straight bumpers and the non cracked dashboard can be attributed to the car either being parked in the garage or shade parking.
As you well know, the reason for the warped bumpers is the sun.
This guy was very meticulous over his car as he has owned a GTV6 2.5 and GTV 2.0 before.
I've replied to your email re: the bonnet grille.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Why do the bumpers warp? What are they made out of?

Greg
Rush
Silver
Silver

Post by Rush »

Greg, as far as I know and I'm speaking under correction, the European bumpers are made of a type of rubber/plastic. I had a '84 Giulietta whose bumpers warped.
I think it's from years and years of exposure to the car standing in direct sunlight and it's the heat causing the bumpers to warp.
Kevin, can you shed more light on this ?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Greg, all our bumpers do have the metal insert but yet they warp horribly. Its definatly UV related but im notbsure if bumpers were sub contracted out by the Alfa factory here in 1982 and made of an inferior urethane. It would be intersting to sed if the Ozzie blokes have same problem then that would shed more light.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The GTV6's over here in Holland often have the same problem...I think it's UV related to. :wink:

Cracking dash is not as common over here. But that might be because the Alfa's have a negative reputation here regarding rust... so many people keep there cars indoors so they miss out on a lot of direct sunlight. Offcourse the weather in Holland is also less good as in your parts of the world. :(
Drive it like you stole it...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I must be a totally different bumper than the one they used over here. I always thought ours were similar but just extended. The U.S. bumpers don't warp in the sun, and we have some states that get a lot of sun.

A lot of people here (a lot in Alfa terms, like probably 12) remove the inserts and collapse the shocks moving the bumpers inboard, which makes them look like the european bumpers.

Greg
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

SILVER: Congrats! You obviously have a very rare bird. Keep it in good shape!
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

The urethane bumpers in Oz do tend to warp as well. I had mine reconditioned where they apply heat and smooth out the urethane but the front ones seem to warp again after a while. I should have had it painted after it was reconditioned because the one in my other GTV6 which was painted doesn't seem to suffer the same relapse. So I suspect it must be the UV causing the distortion :)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Rush here is a pic of the GTV 3.0 L bonnet grills I had made by the Original supplier to Alfa Romeo in 1985.
Attachments
GTV3.0L grill.jpg
GTV3.0L grill.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 10414 times