kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Some more brake upgrades for the 116-Barry

Post by kevin »

Check out pg 15 on Budget race car born (slow delivery). Some good pics of the where the hub is cut and drilled. On can't post direct link as using my phone.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Good point, since I started working on them without checking frontal clearances.. Your calipers are from 305mm GTA? I'm using ones from 166 V6 which are a bit different. I'll do some trial fitting with few wheels and post photos...
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

kevin wrote:Check out pg 15 on Budget race car born (slow delivery). Some good pics of the where the hub is cut and drilled. On can't post direct link as using my phone.
Got it. Can you send me/post an image with the measures needed to build those brackets? Tnhx! :D
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Test fitting of 300mm Mercedes disk with 15'x7' ET:30 (MSW wheels) - I will need about 5mm spacer to clear the calipers from inner ring of wheel. There is a step inside of rim that almost touches caliper. Spokes are not making problems.

Image Image
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

It's the step which is always the problem. I have a spare set of brackets which I am searching for at the moment.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I just had an average weekend at the track due to marginal quality brake fluid (1year old ATE superblue) and overheating rear brakes. I'm going to go with vented rear discs and side pipes.

The Porsche front brakes stood up really well.

Seems that the focus on brake upgrades have always been the fronts. Don't forget the rear brakes as well.
Dr. Alban
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jose 76 , I have those brackets for you . If you can arrange courier you can have them. I will box them and send you an address if you want.

Zamani the rear brakes have been an issue for me and a few other chaps the last two seasons. I have found their is always one caliper pad overworking. The pads are showing overheating ( crumbling) even when I use the ds 3000 ferodo with vent discs.
I am not getting a consistency with the adjustAble calipers even though I spend a lot of time trying to set them up perfectly. Maybe age of calipers is becoming an issue. Also I don't lock up rears at all as I am heavily biased to front.
The real test is you need to paint the discs to check what heat you are getting and check all four rear pads even before you go ventilated as you possibly have same problem when going ventillated. I have now fitted the 105 series calipers with an inline button handbrake so will wait and see.
Go paint the discs (AP paint) for record to compare before you change to vents.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Awesome, Kevin!! I'm sending you a pm for further details :D
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Brackets are free , as I am not a vendor . Will pm you.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Seems that the focus on brake upgrades have always been the fronts. Don't forget the rear brakes as well.
...yes and how long have been telling you guys that? Anyhow, some good advice there from Kevin re temps. I haven't bedded in my new brakes yet so I cannot be too cheeky.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Kevin, you've got a pm

Regards
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

MD,

I was influenced by... I believe JK :D

Kev,

Good call on the paint. My brakes would consistently go soft after 5 laps. I spoke to another ex-GTV6 racer and he said the same thing, before the vented rears, he had to bleed the rear calipers after every 25 minute track session. After bleeding the rears,pedal is firm again.

The exhaust is almost touching the bleeder screw. Lack of space, no air flow, hot exhaust, hot gearbox......

Oh and FRESH fluid will help too. These high dry boiling temp fluids are hygroscopic. I will flush with Motul RBF 600 before Laguna Seca in a few months.
Dr. Alban
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I've had overheating issues with the rear brakes before also, but mostly on tracks with lot's of brake use, the other experience i've had with std brakes on a 75 V6 was the recent track day at Spa, I had issues mostly with the front brakes though at that track day.
Maybe some air ducting towards the rear brakes could be worth to try out to see if it solves the problem a little bit...
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

I installed this exhaust heat shield where the exhaust pipe passes close to the rear caliper:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-11620/

Now that caliper is no more likely to overheat than the one on the non-exhaust-pipe side. (And using Motul 600 RBF I no longer have any problems that bleeding at the end of the day won't solve.)

The way you affix it leaves a ~1 cm air gap between the shield and the pipe, less where the bleed screw is since that distance itself is only ~ 1cm.

The air gap not only helps with the insulating effect but also keeps trapped water out so your exhaust pipe doesn't rust prematurely. (How much rain is there in Cameroon anyway?)

I have also read about people putting ceramic header coatings on this section of the exhaust to achieve the same effect.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I wouldn't know how much rain Cameroon gets. I just had Cameroon there to trick MD . Seems to have worked :D
Dr. Alban