Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Project 2 : front mount SA GTV 3.0 - Sei diff

Post by kevin »

The novelty I'm sure will wear off soon but I got no choice at the moment . My out door workshop leaks quite a bit and its getting nippy : D but atleast I know I can safely work on the car and the only person I fear while leaning over the engine bay is Jack Frost . :P
I got my one car in storage but got plans of building a garage with heat lamps , pictures of Palm trees and golden beaches and of course some bikinis but until then I do envy the Brisbane lifestyle .
Don't laugh but my new lightweight heater unit for the car is nearly ready to be installed . Just working on the thermostat housing . You can't race with cold feet and foggy windows .
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Maybe the novelty will wear off, but as far as car activities go, the amount of stuff you have going there from classic and exotic car shows to touring car races, it's second to none.

Just think about it, feel like going to Spa, 5-6 hour drive? It's 6 hours from SF to LA on I5 with the most boring scenery ever. Take 101 and it's 7 hours but better views.

The Ring, a bit more maybe?

Crazy stuff, hey Isle of Man TT is just a hop and a skip away, then there's the summer historic touring car series, etc.

Let's face it, where you are is about the best place to be for a car nut. Just have to shell out a bit of cash to be there, but at least you can do it.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

kevin wrote:The novelty I'm sure will wear off soon but I got no choice at the moment . My out door workshop leaks quite a bit and its getting nippy : D but atleast I know I can safely work on the car and the only person I fear while leaning over the engine bay is Jack Frost . :P
I got my one car in storage but got plans of building a garage with heat lamps , pictures of Palm trees and golden beaches and of course some bikinis but until then I do envy the Brisbane lifestyle .
Don't laugh but my new lightweight heater unit for the car is nearly ready to be installed . Just working on the thermostat housing . You can't race with cold feet and foggy windows .
Do you wear bikinis? :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Bikinis - oh yeah MD can explain its the national dress code in sunny Brisbane :D - budgie smugglers .
No Mats its not the Snap-on Mankini worn near Jim :D , what were you thinking ?
Just to refresh your memory in case you freezing up near the North Pole
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4382
Some one has to pass the tools ( ok spanners ) when working the car :)
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Mr75...... Kevin... Spot on.... just a short drive away from ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Joe one things for sure their is no lack of entertainment in Motorsport here . Its just the costs to participate are pretty dam high . There are two Alfa series here - one appears to be far more serious than the other . I definitely have my eye on the relaxed series in the future to have some fun . The car would go into an invitation class .
Anyway some bits and pieces completed . I removed my old thermostat housing which was plugged with a welch plug ( mentioned before) . I now have two outlets for my heater hose in front . This is identical to set up Alfa used on the carbi GTV 3.0 as the don't take water off the back of the carb heads .
Trying to find new 7mm x 55 bolts is impossible and could only find 50mm long and nothing longer to trim down . Important to apply some copper grease to bolts as these always corrode .
The heater unit is very light and draws a very low amperage . It came well recomended by the rally motorsport guys .
Now must get the ducting right to get most effective way of keeping windscreen clear . Some pics to follow
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.4 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.18 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (135.34 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

In the pic above you can see the corrosion on inlet water pipe caused from trapped water under the rubber and before hose clamp . Not sure best method to build it but was thinking of using liquid steel . Then smoothing it when dry and finally apply some grease around it before fitting hose to slow flown further corrosion . Just hope none of the liquid metal comes off ( seperates ) unless I make sure hose clamp is directly over that area and it will prevent water been trapped . On the bright side that's 25 years of corrosion .
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Kevin,
I am surprised you are still using 7mm bolts in the thermostat and associated alloy parts! Most of the time the alloy threads are stripped in older cars, so (even if they are not corroded) as standard practice, I replace them with M8x1.25 bolts after suitably drilling/tapping the parts concerned. Bolts come in 5mm length increments so no cutting required. Makes for a better, sturdier assembly and never had a failure yet. It helps to also sand the surfaced lightly as a precaution, as I have found several distorted parts through the years. Note I don't use any of the 3 gaskets either -makes for a lighter engine :lol:
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jim. , yes that is correct way to do it but unfortunately I don't have tap set at the moment and the threads are still perfect . But now that you mention it I will borrow a tap set and use the correct length bolt .
Any ideas on the corrosion on the pipe ?
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

All the M7 threads I pass, I replace with M6 by adding thread inserts.
I gave up on finding M7 bolts in the correct size :D

To get an idea..

At work we use for all connections in alloy which are opened repeatedly, always these inserts.
Cast alloy is anyway a pain wrt threads....
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Pipe corrosion is a bummer but you should be able to prevent it by installing suitable magnesium anode plugs in the block. I do remember seeing such items somewhere for 4 and 6cyl engines a few years back, but you can make your own custom jobs on a lathe from home water heater anodes -I've seen them to be ~1" thick and ~10" long (c'mon MD, no smartass ideas here... :twisted: ).
Already corroded parts can be simply repaired with alloy welding, no problem.
Those inserts are a nice idea Maurizio, for something you open up frequently. How many times will you have to disassemble the thermostat? I think M8x1.25 is a more practical solution in this case. We use these inserts when necessary to replace corroded/broken/stripped long M12 block/head studs on otherwise good 4cyl blocks. We get them from Wurth and they are called 'time-sert'.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks Maurizio for alternate options . I'm not going to use gaskets either so I'm going to save 2mm so I'm happier with the 50mm bolts . If the bolts don't bite with the reduced thread then I got the options of the m8 by 1.25 or the inserts .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I'm pretty happy with the 50mm x7mm bolts that went into new thermostat housing . Al his tightened up nicely . Hopefully now the engine will warm up quicker to stop over fuelling .
Got some good battery terminal covers to comply with racing regs here and also I don't have a battery cover so it will be much safer incase something loose in boot shorts against positive . (Still got to load things in boot to go track days ) .
Can't believe how much moisture is in the air . The car is sopping wet even with this breathable cover . Hopefully no corrosion will happen as I have Dinitroled all cavities and the whole is body colour . Must just stay away from when they salt the roads .
Pic shows how much moisture gets under the cover ( see all the water droplets on the bonnet on both sides :shock:)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (224.35 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (209.24 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The 'clamping bar' that goes over the battery can also cause some nice sparks if it gets loose.. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Good point , I should turn battery around and then heat shrink the clamping bar as an extra precaution .
Thanks .
Edit - done with new covers
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (197.79 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
Last edited by kevin on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.