kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Jim K. 3.2 engine

Post by kevin »

Your hand must be in pain after taking those all out . Only way I could split them was to hold the follower in the cup of your hand and wack it against a piece of wood . The energy was transferred to the piston which pops out and your hand gets a bit bruised . After 24 goes plus some practice you need an ice bucket .
Jim maybe your new book might get the economy going !
Did you find a difference in the 164 3.0 24v follower and the 3.2 follower . My replacement follower which came from a gta seemed to have a bigger piston inside .
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I only have 164 followers and they are the same with 166 24v and 33 16v items. I also chose the ones with the least wear i.e. the most black area outside (nitriding).
No problem taking them apart, I only use 3 fingers and the hard tabletop. 3-4 whacks and they're out! Fingers are more resilient than palms! :)
Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Thats what i hate about 24v heads..

how did the flow testing pan out afterwards.. did you get an increase on the heads after re fitting the alfa valves
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Didn't do anything yet. I'll have to carry out some slight seat corrections carefully at home with the Dremel tool as I don't like the exhaust seats too much and there is no cutter over 60* to put in there and do a 'proper' job. I'll also wait until I have the heads milled before going back to the flowbench. Getting them milled only takes a few hours there and back depending on the machine backup load. We usually take the heads there in the morning and get them back at noon or a bit afterwards after forking out 40€ for two heads. Hmmm, maybe Friday... I have a good friend with a 75 coming over tomorrow and I'll replace his dead speedo with one I've already bench tested.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Totally unrelated to 24V heads.

I'm so shocked when I see posts in other forums that "Hey I'm from Athens, do you know what parts I need to convert my 75 to a 24v".

What the.... do you know who Jim K. is?

Even the blondes with the generous ..... at local beach know him!

Imagine a guy 8000 miles away having to tell him "Hey bud, do you know Jim?" :roll: I've had to do it more than once. :lol:

OK My shed is almost ready, so I can put my mill and lathe in there Later I will start on my 24V heads, I should at least CC them.

Today it rained here in the south SF Bay Area, and my shed didn't leak. Yay!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Do not assume that just because we are inside the borders of the same dump we should be on good terms... 8) Most owners have their cars done by some Alfa garage, where max business profit is naturally the name of the game. Garage owners don't want their customers asking around for advise or 'cheaper' solutions. At this point, knowing me is a detriment. While I have great relations and help many diy's, most Alfa shops are another story! Here is a very recent but non-Alfa example: there's a guy with a De Tomaso Mangusta here with a busted Ford V8 -I haven't seen the car, don't know if its a 289/302/351. The shop he took his car to (non-Alfa) quoted something ~15-18k€ for a rebuilt engine from the US... :shock: Now back in Canada, before Alfas I had Mustangs for several years and dealt a lot with their small-blocks. Can you even imagine my relations with the shop if I talk to their customer? I'll make it to #1 on their hit-list!
About your 24v heads, don't bother to cc them. They are CNC machined and if still std thickness (uncut) they are 41cc and the used head gasket is 11.7cc. Total = 50.7cc. If you want to increase CR you need the head chamber face AREA which is 61cm², the number you will use to determine how much to shave off for your desired CR.
Now about them blondes on the beach...any phone numbers? :mrgreen:
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hey Jim , if your currency gets changed and worth didley like the South African Rand you could make quite a bit exporting your Alfa bits . Not that that's any consolation .
How's the engine coming on inbetween your daytime dreaming of blondes on the beach
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Haven't been to the beach yet and the bankruptcy thing should be resolved soon, one way or the other. When idiots vote for Communists, these things are expected! Oh yeah, in 2015, there's a country that voted for a Communist government! We deserve everything that comes our way! :twisted:
I did some flowbench work yesterday and things are not that bad. I would prefer to see higher flow numbers -just for the numbers themselves- but considering existing valve sizes we're right up there near the top with Subarus, Evos, Cosworth heads and other fast company. This is the last time I mess with 24v flowbench work, I'figure I've had enough! You want any more, you go pay and do it yourselves! :mrgreen:
I wanted to see what the effect of the curved pipes is vs a short ITB-like air horn so I bolted one on at max lift/flow. The drop was only 6cfm. On the exhaust side, adding a 6" stub right up against the port, increased flow by a whole 18cfm! Technically, this is how exhaust ports should be tested, with the header pipes in place but its not very practical. The port alone is very short and there is great turbulence at the head exit point. Anyway, here are a couple of pics and the flow table.
Jim K.
What is interesting here is that we can approach 160cfm at a little higher lift, maybe ~13.5mm. I'll stick to my 10.3mm cams for now. Higher lifts require special springs and they are NOT cheap! With my cams, >150cfm is impressive and theoretically capable of 65hp/cylinder or 390hp from the 3.2liter... way more than I ever planned for!
The short trumpet is a good approximation to ITB's without the throttle plate or, a proper barrel throttle setup -I wish!
There's little loss of flow with the std chrome pipe, only 6cfm!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Nice work . Would be interesting to see what the difference in cf/m would have been with the different sized intake runners . Ie 45mm 42mm and the 40mm . Probably only necessary on the two larger sizes to the difference .
Regarding the stub on the exhaust due to turbulence is also interesting . Does this explain why the e36 M3 exhaust on first three inches matches port size then steps down by 4mm in ID .
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

kevin wrote: Regarding the stub on the exhaust due to turbulence is also interesting . Does this explain why the e36 M3 exhaust on first three inches matches port size then steps down by 4mm in ID .
I've seen stepped headers the other way around, starting ~port size and after a few inches increase in bore, didn't know about the M3 scenario. Strange arrangement, I can't say I have an explanation. :?:
Jim K.
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

shewwww.... 390HP
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Now hold on there! That's a theoretically possible result from an engine with everything else dialed in right and for 8400-9000rpm... according to Superflow. If I input my 3.2 engine data in the simulator, it gives me from 315-340hp at ~7300rm and 257ftlbs at ~6krpm, depending on intake configuration, with my cams and headers. I'll be very happy to see over 300-310hp in my car and we'll all know in a few months.
Superflow predictions are correct, but similar full-race engines don't last too long and are just that: full-race jobs, not very practical for private individuals -and bankrupt ones at that! :roll:
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

E46 M3s rev to 7900 rpm. I need to 333 bhp to beat one. Please help me.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Why would you prefer an Alfa over a sophisticated machine like an M3? :twisted: :wall: Look at how many M3's participate in racing all over the world compared to race Alfas... There's got to be an explanation! :roll:
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I will ask the Greek pope to ex-communicate you for such heresy!

p/s I've definitely been looking at a few E46 M3s :mrgreen: