Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Project 2 : front mount SA GTV 3.0 - Sei diff

Post by kevin »

Md , Z , mr zig and of course the fog , its going to be an approach from all those responses . So will put four ductings ( split from two ) to the front windscreen and take other two to side windows . I will also apply anti fog to in side windscreens and just re apply every season .
No more potatoes in the car . Speaking of that who the hell came up with that trick or was it a potato former who owned an Alfa .
Md were not talking about your potato trick on the beach in Byron Bay to impress the ladies . ( if you find its not working try put the potato in front of your budgie smuggler :D )
I forgot how fast this car really is after refreshing my memory today with a few laps around some quiet roads through the woods . What an absolute blast to drive .
I got my Race technology dash2 functioning 99% working except for my speedo . Its all calibrated correctly but I think the gap between the pickup and sensor tab might have to be moved closer . Once you know the way around the software and its formulas its not to bad . Only tip is to write down the formulas you used for all the sensors just in case your laptop dies as the dash does not store the info . Note - the Afr will read 20 when car is off ..
The sun was out momentarily so I thought I would snap a quick shot , which reminded me to sort the front left hinge on the bonnet as pin is out .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (209.24 KiB) Viewed 8189 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (208.43 KiB) Viewed 8189 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Here you go Kev,

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/one ... ant+bag.do

I think if the car's interior is relatively dry before the event, the heater will not have such a hard time trying to keep the moisture level down.
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

the 6 drive shaft is the same of 75 turbo drive shaft?

my mechanic say me the 6 drive is 3 cm shorter than the turbo. I've 4 turbo shaft on house. Then I buy 2 6 shaft of a 2.5 v6 carbs, open the pack and I see it's the same of 75 :evil:

the seller says me (and send me photo) of the 6 that is disassembling...

thanks
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Unfortunately I never had the Alfa Sei side shafts so I can't help you there . I used the gtv6 side shafts which are shorter about 35-40mm than the 75 3.0 side shafts but I made my hubs on the brakes much bigger to make up the space . If you look at some of my pics you will see this .

On another subject , are you aware your Alfa Sei diff dose not sit centre to to the tunnel . It sits about 35mm offset to the centre line of the engine and gearbox . Also you will notice your engine will sit about 50mm higher ( centre line of prop) to the diff as well . This means the propshaft will offset in two planes . Hence you need to keep an eye on operating angles if you're using UJ' s or cardan joints .
My car still has a high speed prop vibration ( not a bad one ) only at 4500rpm in fifth gear .
I was looking at cv joints to solve issue which it would , however I then run into the other issue of cv joints overheating which I hear is quite a common failure on propshafts . I find it strange as they seem to work find on the side shafts or axle shafts as done people call them .
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

thanks for the answer...

I thought gtv6, 75 3.0 and turbo have the same side shaft, but if you tell me this I was wrong.

75 and sei has the same side shaft, gtv6 have shorter side like my mechanics (on his alfetta he has a mix sei-gtv6)

Why I can't put differential on center? there's no space?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Have a look at this pic . You cn see the centre line is offset about 35mm . This is a resultant 2degree angle to your engine if its sitting directly centre in car and you draw a straight line from gearbox flang to diff flange provided both flanges are parallel .
The max you can run on a uj is 3 degrees so its fine in this plain viewing from the top . However the engine also sits higher than the diff flange so their will also be. Difference in angle on side view . They call this a compound angle and their is a formula to make sure the resultant angle is with a certain parameter other wise you will get a vibration using the Uj . The formulas are simple and easy to check on this link .
Read this link http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.79 KiB) Viewed 8040 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (184.98 KiB) Viewed 8040 times
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

thanks for this suggestion :D show it to my mechanics, but he want use rubber joint, he told me it has 4 holes and a metal cage around. Made a new driveshaft. He told if I broken one of this rubber joint he change it free ahahahhaahah

at the moment I can't go on with the works, mechanic holiday :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

many thanks!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Kevin,

So far as I know, the proximity sensors have problems with being too far away from the toothed wheel they are reading. The only way they are too close is if they are making contact (which ruins them).

Hth,
Scott
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I have been doing a bit of road driving in this trackday car and everything functions as I hoped it would do except the clutch I fitted . As soon as it gets hot in traffic or even three pull offs on slopes its stops functioning . I thought I could live with the race clutch shudder and sudden release . ( edited) Anyway long and the short of it is I want to use the car on road and do trackdays with the occasional race I need to change it out .
Currently its a twin plate copper clutch 184mm ap unit and if I want to keep this flywheel my options after making a few enquiries is to change out the copper plates to two organic plate units and another pressure plate . I can also have one of the organic plates sprung but I'm not sure if that's gonna make any difference as I would assume both need to be sprung .
Other alternative is to make another flywheel and fit a larger single plate organic clutch plate but then I'm faced with matching the balancing factor to the new flywheel here in UK . My old place in SA had no problem in replicating the balance factor . Hopefully others can learn not to get to racy for the road . This unit was originally out my transaxle which I moved over to the front mount .
Some pics of my copper AP unit and the car on the street just after clocking up some more miles .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (170.6 KiB) Viewed 7880 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (166.3 KiB) Viewed 7916 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (149.34 KiB) Viewed 7916 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 7916 times
Last edited by kevin on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

As soon as it gets hot in traffic or even three pull offs on slopes its stops functioning .
In what way Kevin? Seizes up? Slipping?
Why not try a PM to Micke. He knows a thing or two about custom clutches.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Md , this unit definitely does not slip as its way over the spec the torque my engine produces . As soon as it gets hot you can't select first or second and when you do get it in your window for release is minuscule compared to when cold . I understand the build up of heat is huge in these clutches when used for the wrong purpose I do know when you use a 184mm diameter pressure plate ( currently in car ) your leverage points require far smaller movement compared to that of a 240mm so difference beween release and engagement is radically different . Now combine the fact I have the very thin sintered plates unsprung the shudder and immediate bite is not something you can use on the road . As I did mention it was a race clutch that served its purpose on the track .
So my aim at this stage would be to find a gta flywheel and get it balanced to match my 3.7 flywheel as I have already had feedback today from a mate who had seen this post of an engineering works that will do it here in UK . I will use an aftermarket 240mm unit with a single organic sprung unit combined with a tilton thrust bearing .
Now I must start collecting parts then whip the box out in the drive way before winter comes so I don't freeze my ass off .
Good news I have got two sets of compomotive 15" split rims I am going to start building up which I will post some pics . I got Image wheels uk to make up some seriously nice inner and outer dishes which fit over the six pot callipers .
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

You'll have to wait with that clutch job...

22-23 august there is the spettacolo sportivo meeting from the dutch alfa owners club. One of the largest alfa meetings in the world.

Ideal place to visit with your gtv6.

Visit Www.spettacolosportivo.eu for more info.
Drive it like you stole it...
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

For the street the copper bits just grab too hard. Even if you had both discs sprung you would have a hard time with it. I think you are right in going with the organic disc....get the best one you can though.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

While I have been waiting for my new flywheel to be balanced ie the inbalance to be copied from my original flywheel I have building up some sets of compomotive split rims which were the originals for this car . I had spare centres or hubs as you call it and found a company here to make up sets of barrels and dishes according to my specs . The only weakness with the original rims were they were easy to dent or bend for road use but that was never the intention when Alfa SA wanted super lightweight rims for the GTV 3.0 race program in the 80's .
I have always used the loctite grey silicone with success in sealing and cleveloc nuts so I have continued with these . Once again I did quick check to see bolt clearance on caliper . Ironically the disc is still bigger than the wheel hub by a few mm but with the shape of the wheel barrel their is good clearance . The one set I will have the trackdsy tyres and other will fit some Uniroyal Rainsports . This should cover I guess most conditions . Now to get rid of my 17" rims - all 8 of them . Any takers ? PM me going real cheap now :D
Some pics below of wheel assemble on the " workbench" with my assistant .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (220.23 KiB) Viewed 7672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 7672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (182.83 KiB) Viewed 7672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (159.15 KiB) Viewed 7672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (153.22 KiB) Viewed 7672 times
Joemart