75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: Jim K. 3.2 engine

Post by 75evo »

You don't need tuner viewer, just setup a WebEx and the other guy gets to control your screen.

Make sure he doesn't access your "dirty" folder where you keep all your <cough> :lol:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Maurizio wrote:
Maybe the E46 M3 is what I should go after

:roll: It is a slowly spreading disease
What? Have never heard of this. Ever. 8)
Jim K wrote: The pics you can see the ...JK CAD method (Cardboard Assisted Drawing :lol: ) and the finished article.
Good old Pizza box designing....
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hahah! How right you are! :lol: I needed more cardboard for the plenum job so I ordered 2 large pizzas, this way I get the 3rd one FREE! :lol: :lol:

Jim k.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Jim can you tell us the rod length to stroke ratio?
And do you reckon it would be feasable to have an even longer stroke (custom made obviously) crank in the block? Maybe with smaller diameter big ends to find the needed room.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Rod length is 131.1mm and stroke for the 3.2liter is 78mm (72.6mm for the 3liter). Couple of years ago, we contemplated exactly what you are proposing. Rod journals are 52mm so we could offset-grind them down to 50mm thus gaining a significant 2mm stroke increase. We would of course need new rods (at least) and/or pistons and a definite little bulge on the rear of the oil pan to provide the required running clearance. The result would be 3.259cc (up from 3.177cc) and notable low-end improvement. However, my financial situation did not permit going this way -I had already purchased new rods/pistons for the 3.2 engine. It would be interesting to compare this proposal vs going 3.3liter with only pistons+liners+head gaskets. After the engine was halfway through, I found suitable parts for this but it was too late. I would prefer this mod as no other parts are affected at all. Maybe in the afterlife... :roll: 8)

Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

been looking into this myself..

running 100mm bore plus using cosworth rods so grinding big ends smaller thought about offset grinding and getting another smaller stroke increase.

have a few spares cranks here and one damaged quite badly was going to get my machine shop to have a play and see what was achievable before deciding 100% of the rods ..

might be able to make a worth while gain... lol
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

On this subject , I had a 2.5 24v to start off with journal size cut down to suit bmw rods and 98mm Porsche pistons . There was also and 8mm spacer between the heads and block . Worked very well . Dawie built this engine in the days when we were struggling to get forged pistons at 100 mm . Must be way over ten years ago .
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Jim K wrote:Rod length is 131.1mm and stroke for the 3.2liter is 78mm (72.6mm for the 3liter). Couple of years ago, we contemplated exactly what you are proposing. Rod journals are 52mm so we could offset-grind them down to 50mm thus gaining a significant 2mm stroke increase. We would of course need new rods (at least) and/or pistons and a definite little bulge on the rear of the oil pan to provide the required running clearance. The result would be 3.259cc (up from 3.177cc) and notable low-end improvement. However, my financial situation did not permit going this way -I had already purchased new rods/pistons for the 3.2 engine. It would be interesting to compare this proposal vs going 3.3liter with only pistons+liners+head gaskets. After the engine was halfway through, I found suitable parts for this but it was too late. I would prefer this mod as no other parts are affected at all. Maybe in the afterlife... :roll: 8)

Jim K.
So something a bit mad like an 83mm stroke custom made crank might be a bit too much of a squeeze, then?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Seeing how I had to relieve the block in some places (even a little) for H-rod rotation for the 3.2, I seriously doubt a longer stroke can be accommodated. If one is so determined, they can cut 'windows' in the block and externally weld patches thus gaining ~4-5mm more clearance, but this must be investigated in a real block with a crank. I suppose bolting suitable makeshift rings on the crankpins of a 3.2 crank would make for a good test.
OR, as Maurizio says... buy an M3! :lol: 8)

Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

:roll: :mrgreen:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Jim K wrote: OR, as Maurizio says... buy an M3! :lol: 8)
Maurizio wrote: :roll: :mrgreen:
NOPE!!! :P
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I found an Autronic in Australia, gonna get that. Especially with the AUD down so much. Remember when I bought my first Autronic from Beninca when AUD:USD was 2:1.

I've been reading forums saying I should go with Omex or DTA instead of Emerald. I guess it's really a case of what each tuner prefers.

JK seriously, one day you need to bring your car to the mainland and let me drive it hehe! :mrgreen: Maybe we should go to the Spa track days and I will pay for your entry fee but we share the car...

Hey if you decide to come to Cali, we can do a track day here, Laguna or Infineon. and you can drive my car. You can use my Toyota Landcruiser to drive around when you are here. Doubt you can pickup any babes with it though, has bad paint :( :mrgreen:

Hey anyone wanna bet how much power the 3.2 will put out? :mrgreen:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

308 Hp :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

75evo wrote: JK seriously, one day you need to bring your car to the mainland and let me drive it hehe! :mrgreen: Maybe we should go to the Spa track days and I will pay for your entry fee but we share the car...
Hey if you decide to come to Cali, we can do a track day here, Laguna or Infineon. and you can drive my car. You can use my Toyota Landcruiser to drive around when you are here. Doubt you can pickup any babes with it though, has bad paint :( :mrgreen:
Oh yeah, like you're only next door...Uhhh, have you been drinking or smoking funny stuff? :shock: I 'd have to arrange to get my a$$ deported to Ca, but I doubt they'd send my car along! 8)
Line me up 5-10 engine customers and I'll pay for air-fare! :wink:
As for power, the only 'info' I can go by is the simulator and it says 304/325hp depending on intake (long/short). I'll be happy with >300.

Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79