Treasure 1.JPG
Treasure 1.JPG (239.56 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Re: "Patches" MD's Final Racing Project

Post by KevinR »

Hi Md, geez that's massive effort. Thanks for reply on specs. I have seen guys recently give up on separating a head from a nord engine and binning it. Definitely no task or problem to big for you ! Is there any concern on the studs ? I guess they survived this !
Cheers
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin.

All good. Hope the info is of some help to some body.
Yes that head was gonna come off come hell of high water. Just taken all the parts to an engineering shop for some detail prep work on the components.The block needs a thorough internal clean up to check the O ring seats for the liners. I think the pain in the wallet is about to start..

Surprisingly the studs seem very good. I have seen a lot worse from much less problematic heads. I am sure they will do the job.

Are you working on anything at the present?
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi Md, unfortunately my cars are in my storage place which 70 miles from here and I can’t exactly go there as it’s not an essential journey even thought I totally think it is. However one of my work projects happens to be in the area this week so will pop in and air out the cars. My mate who shares the unit with me is redoing his 75 to fall in line with the Alfa championship specs so nice stuff happening there . I will save that for another thread so we can keep this to your car.
Would be good to see when you get there some details on your oil pump and tolerances when you assembling and also if you test bench the pump . That’s just a small side thing :)
So what’s bigger plan on engine . Turbo .. supercharge ? Both :)
Going to enjoy this thread ! Interested on seen your electric layout and mini fuse boards . Always like to see the details that you probably think were not interested in :) it’s all good for the brain or vacuum :)
Cheers and enjoying the topic thoroughly!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The engine is moving along slowly and its make up will be determined to an extent on what parts I can still get for it.
Meantime working at the other end of the business and installing the rear assembly in one go.

After this and while I am waiting on parts, I am moving onto repairing the CAB. It's in the sick bay at the moment.
Attachments
Transaxle install.JPG
Transaxle install.JPG (243.58 KiB) Viewed 5983 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi MD is see you have been in your local news again doing some “freelance “ work for your local R.A.C.Q .
Attachments
D825D17B-12C8-4E1A-97A2-055749C03E79.jpeg
D825D17B-12C8-4E1A-97A2-055749C03E79.jpeg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I must say, she did have warm hands..good one Kevin. :D

Working on the Cab today, had to remove the twin spark head. The actual head removal part took about 10 minutes. The last time the head was off, I took the trouble to have the passages that the head studs move through reamed out a little together with the use of mineral free coolant ( I use air-conditioner condensate) the head came off like a breeze. The studs are rust free and any deposition whatsoever.

What a change from the Alfetta head removal job !!!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

......lot of water under the bridge but I might begin my return to this project.

Here's a couple pics to refocus. Nothing really 25th century new just more of the same practical stuff. The only subtle difference is in the coil over. Looks "sort of normal" but it isn't. The damper is upside down. This means the coil does not move through the upper control arm. There is no need for any enlargement of the opening in the arm for clearance. The spring works between the upper and lower control arms only.
Everybody needs to thank our Daniel for creating this stuff.
Attachments
Front brake in 16 inch rrim.JPG
Front brake in 16 inch rrim.JPG (245.92 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
Upside down damper.JPG
Upside down damper.JPG (244.1 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
159 Calliper with 315 by 28mm ventilated rotor.JPG
159 Calliper with 315 by 28mm ventilated rotor.JPG (240.74 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
Alfaaa1
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfaaa1 »

Nice work MD. :)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thank you Alfaaa1

I know the rims look a bit lame but the reality is that they are a true magnesium alloy and they are especially lightweight so function is taking priority over appearance. Thank you Mr Mazda.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Lovely! Daniel also used these wheels. 16" wheels with BBK is great. JK squeezed some big ones using 15" wheel. He would use 14's if he could... Where is Daniel these days anyway?
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Zamani,
To the best of my knowledge, Daniel has either bought into (or considering doing) an engineering workshop. Last email I had from him suggested he was more busy than a one arm wallpaper hanger. Daniel has that quality about him that is creative, innovative, always up to the challenge. Loves motor cycles and Alfas. Don't know how much time he has for either at the moment. I am keen to see how that career move is going to pan out for him.
I really hope he is onto a winner. He's a top bloke.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

MD, just a question on that coil over. I could never start the spring so low down near the lower A arm because it would clash with the steering arm that comes off the stub axe so it had to start like 60mm higher . If I could have solved that then I would not have needed to open up the upper control arm.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin,
Good to hear from you. I don't recollect seeing your coil over set up. However I will just mention a couple of things.

1. The springs I use have a small radius 65mm ID.
2. The damper is an upside-down version so it requires little room below the UCA.

These short and small diameter springs can rate as high as 1600lbs/in.

Worth keeping in mind that the caster limit is about 3.5* before there is assembly contact with inner part of the UCA . Suit me fine . For more caster, the UCA would need provision for more clearance.

How does yours compare to this?
Attachments
Front Coil Over.JPG
Front Coil Over.JPG (247.54 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Wow !! More than a year and half gone without any progress on the 75. However, there is a reason for this. I have been busy quietly restoring an Alfetta GTV 2.0 that has been sitting in my workshop for 5 years waiting to be the back up car if I have a major track incident with Orange Cab. Thankfully this has not been necessary and during this time I am slowly moving across to the 75 so there is less and less justification to hang onto it. I have therefore spent a considerable time going over the entire car to get it up and running reliably on the road giving it a new paint job and appropriate parts to make it all happen.
Last edited by MD on Fri May 26, 2023 11:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.