Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Supercharged 3.0 24V

Post by Zamani »

Has anyone here built a rotrex supercharged 24v? Thinking of replacing my 3.2 with a 3.0 SC. Not looking for some crazy horsepower figures, maybe 350 bhp? Don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone already has the right piston design.

Actually, Steve in Dorset, you've done it, but with a positive displacement supercharger. If I'm there this summer, I'd like to have a chat.
Dr. Alban
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Supercharged 3.0 24V

Post by gtv-racer »

Why not use something like a tvs of Eaton? Sprintex also has more compact units I thought. These models are also very efficient at max rpm. Then you have torque everywhere. The older M units where only efficient in mid and low down rpm unless ported.

If you are worried about transaxle strength at low rpm , just tune down the power a bit over there. A well built transxle can handle aducate power.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Ok will look into the new sprintex on a 3.0.

Actually Jim told me to just get a 1.8T So if anyone sees a 1.8T on ebay let me know. Failing that, a 2.0T with Westwood liners, xtreme tuning manifolds.
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

'Blessed be the ignorant and the meek'.... I'm sure the man who said this KNEW the 1.8T is a better choice! :D

Jim K.
Attachments
snail.jpg
snail.jpg (229.15 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

What the heck, you’re back here! :)

Yeah I’m abandoning the Zsupercharged V6 idea. The container rates have quintupled so I might have to do things locally. I discussed this with Alfa Parts Exchange and we will slowly build a 2.0L with darton sleeves, o-ring the liners, wiseco 8.5:1 pistons, maxpeeding rods, piasini stainless evo style manifold, hybrid turbo, etc.

One guy wanted to sell me a 1.8T for about €4K but can’t guarantee its condition other than it runs….. no point, especially with the container freight so expensive, why risk paying so much and getting a dud? I know the turbo has to be changed anyway.

Not looking for crazy power. 350bhp amd good torque will make this car be competitive with the E90 M3 on the track.

Will mothball the 3.2 for a while while and maybe develop an ITB kit for it.

Good thing about the turbo is I can run side pipes and not worry about the noise. With a low 90db limit at Laguna, it is ridiculous. for the 3.2 you have to run so many mufflers and a cat. Turbo should easily solve this problem with a small muffler and side pipes.
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

What a co-incidence ??!!

The wife uses the same hair dryer. Same colour too.
Attachments
Hair turbo.jpg
Hair turbo.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey MD any inter cooling there?
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Zamani,
The only reason I included this helpful advice about the hair drier is to piss the Greekster off. He and I have been at logger heads about boosting (privately) for years. By all means do what ever works in terms of not only the performance you need but also what works financially.

Looking at your current set up if I understand it correctly, you have a 3.2 installed and looking for 350hp with a quiet exhaust set up. If that engine is presently healthy, giving it some low amount of boost is going to get you there. I do not know what sort of tracks you have but here is my overview of what would work the best. If you develop detonation problems, try running a 50/50 mix of water/meth. Old school stuff but it works.

Hillclimbs with short straights and strong inclines you need instant bottom end torque-only comes from a roots blower.
Circuit racing with a 50/50 mix of tight bends and not too long straights you need a Sprintex for mid band torque
Circuit racing that has 30/70 mix of bends and long straights with more straights than bends use a Rotrex or a turbo for top end power. Only thing to remember that the Rotrex will deliver the power very similar to a turbo but without the heat and lag if any.

The preference of superchargers over turbo charging is the driving experience. You will find SC. provide a nice linear power response that is just like using a larger naturally aspirated engine. This makes for predictable acceleration and deceleration which is equally important. Good drivers can and do adapt to any forms of power delivery and plenty of drivers do so when using turbos. And yes I have heard all the arguments about how it is possible to tune out the logarithmic power delivery from a turbo but I mostly don't buy it.

The second benefit of supercharging is the relative low amount of heat generated by the configuration.

So in summary I think stick with what you have as it is perfect for some tear arse performance with the least amount of cost and hassle.

Last tip: If you notice the Greekster logged onto the Forum, see if you can dial out this post 'cause he will try and shuffle the info into his next book. :D
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Well, I’m tempted to take down the photo of the highly boosted hair dryer because JK might incorporate that in his new book :lol:
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Both of you clowns can go jump in the deep end of the pool headfirst, when there's no water in it. You'd be doing the world a great service. MD can leave his brain to science, they can use the two halves as wheel chocs! :lol: :lol:
If you clowns want POWER, get rid of your Italian shitboxes and get a Mustang or a Dodge Demon. Forget all the crap about turbo and SC on a puny Alfa 3.2 lump. And when/if you get 400 horses or so, learn to DRIVE the damn car instead of braggin' about numbers! Most of you are getting too old to take any long distance drive without stopping 4-5 times (not for gas), so cut the crap, hit the sofa, get a soda and watch the medical shows on tv. Oh, and make sure you sip with a straw, otherwise you'll shake the stuff all over the carpet -hopefully, the restroom is less than 5 seconds away! So, MD, you still do laps in the track? Come on, don't be ashamed to say you traded the stopwatch for a f. calendar, it would come to this sooner or later! And you want more power? What for? You still have to pit for a piss every other lap...
Seeing your brains are about all fried with this high-tech shit, I'll sign-off fer now and let you hit the can. Please man-up and tell your wife that's NO car honking outside every time you get up from the couch! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Geez Zamani.I told you not to piss him off. Now he's gone on bender.

First he wants to flog you a lame 1.8L turbo then he says they are crap and you need to move onto a V8 mustang. I think him being on Facebook has done a LOT of damage.

Muscle cars live on other forums. Disorientation will do that to you. One minute your realise you need to have a serious dump and the next thing you find yourself in the ladies closets. WTF ! Disorientation will do it every time. Sucking on lemons cures the problem. JK I suggest a 2Kg sample will do the business. :mrgreen:

Good to see you again amongst friends.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Typical Captain Kangaroo slander! it would be nice if you pull your head from under where its buried (I still don't know how you can bend that far down!) long enough to hear a few things -I say hear, as understanding would tax whatever gray cells still remain, blowing the main fuse and soiling the couch! It's either a 1.8T with ~300-350 reliable hp, OR a 3-3.2liter with up to 300-320hp. If these are NOT enough for your Fangio skills, get a Demon or a Mustang with 500-750hp and play God until the first turn comes up -at which point you'll get to meet the REAL one! Number freaks like you, vastly outnumber drivers who are content with far less than a million horses! In both my books I emphasize that I modify as far as I want, not as far as I can!Think about it! Why have more power than you can handle? Bragging rights, that's all and nobody can say otherwise. An Alfa is an Alfa and it must remain as close to its original spec. Popping the hood and seeing truck superchargers, belts and pulleys... That's ugly, I don't give a $hit what power it makes. A 1.8T with a slightly different snail on the original manifold is not a visual insult at all, nor is a na modded 3.2 which keeps the original character of the cars. Twin-turbo V6's though... give me a break. You want two snails? Buy a GTR. No matter HOW much you spend on an Alfa, you'll never get closer than binocular distance to one! Sure, there are clowns stuffing Subaru STi engines in Alfa 116 cars but what's the point? Not worth discussing.
So Oz, I can't expect you to digest all this but make up your mind (...whatever!) it will either be an Alfa with 300hp, or some other NON-Alfa shitbox with enough power to embarrass you! :mrgreen: In the meantime, do everyone a favor: go find an inland taipan and step on it, hahahah! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wall:
Jim K.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey, can't make out the face in the pic... anyone of you power-hungry guys? :D
Attachments
Overkill.jpg
Overkill.jpg (164.5 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Gidday Greaser.

Enough keystrokes in your last post to get you a spot with Clarkson, Hammond and May as the feature driver with your Supercar. Small suggestion.
Your car is too small for the engine. It needs bigger wheels, yes, I definitely think bigger wheels will do the business. A periscope is a must.

Your red hot pants are very sweet.Could be a money spinner for ya.

Keep up the good work.
Weekend Warrior
Silver
Silver

Post by Weekend Warrior »

Image.jpeg
Image.jpeg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
I have this early 70's Aussie Chrysler in the workshop, it has a V8 that's more than double the capacity of a "puny" 3.2!!
It has the familiar torsion bar front end but a pair of medieval cart springs at the rear so is only good for travelling in a straight line but does have a kinda feral feel good factor as you shove the pedal to the floor