Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
David
Gold
Gold

MS with Spark

Post by David »

I have the 3.0l motor finished and ready to install. I'm currently working on my MS setup. I have a 2.2 board and have loaded and set up the MSNS_EXTRA (msns-029q) code. My plan is to run MS as follows:

1. Use the 60-2 crank wheel on the 3.0L via the VR conditioner circuit to MS. I'm having trouble locating the main components for this.

2. Drive a 3 coil, coil pack, wasted spark via the VB921ZVFI driver circuits (no distributor). (Outputs for spark have been wired to the MS board)

3. Dual O2 sensors, one in each bank, via the dual table option. Only NB at this stage to get it up and running. (Input has been wired to the MS board)

Does anyone know of a source for the VR conditioner components and the wiring details on the 164 3 wire VR sensor plug?

Does anyone have fuel and spark tables for a stock 3.0L to hopefully save me some setup time?

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

That sounds like a lot of modifications. To get programmable spark I tapped into the distributor signal at the ignition box in the passenger footwell. Then I changed ignition modules (sorry I think it's the bosch one that ends in 32) and triggered the module from the MS box. The bosch module controls dwell, but you can use a different module and let MS control dwell (a complexity that I'm not sure the benefits of).

With those few modifications you can have mappable ignition. Based on Zamani's input I advance my ignition up to 26 degrees (vs. 15 degrees with Bosch Ljet). It makes a big difference on my butt dyno.

Have you already made your modifications? How'd it go?

Bill in Maryland, US
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Bill,

I have finished all the mods. I had to get the coil drivers from the US so the MS mods have slowed the overall project a bit. I also have only just located the ignition lead ends so that I can get a custom set of leads made to the correct length and to fit the coil pack.

Not sure why I went down this path other than to see if it can be done and to make use of the 164 toothed wheel. Cost of the mods was not much just the time involved. I have completed the following;
VR Sensor Circuit to read the 164 60-2 toothed wheel. This works and Megatune reads the RPM from the wheel.
Dual O2 Sensor Circuit using the dual spark tables in MS
3 X VB921 Coil Drivers to drive the coil pack direct, no distributor or module. This works on the dummy set-up but a bit hard to test fully without proper suppressed leads.
Modified Tacho Circuit as the coil will now not be driving the tacho signal. Testing will have to wait until its all in the car.

The coil drivers, mounted on heat sinks and the VR circuit were wired up on small Pro boards and housed in a small electronics project box as there was not enough room in the MS case.

I set up a dummy ignition set-up with a spare GTV6-Ljet wiring harness, combi relay, the 164 VR sensor and a coil pack. Looks a bit messy in the photo all in a heap but it did allow me to test most of the MS mods out of the car.

Everything is now set to put the completed 3.0L engine in the car and put it all together with the MS.

Here are some pics of the work so far.

David
Attachments
MS with mods
MS with mods
DSC04395.JPG (49.22 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
VR circuit and coil drivers
VR circuit and coil drivers
DSC04403.JPG (49.48 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
mods box with coil drivers
mods box with coil drivers
DSC04387.JPG (49.22 KiB) Viewed 5680 times