grega
Gold
Gold

car bogs when throttle is pressed down

Post by grega »

HELP GUYS

I still haven't been able to get to the bottom of my problem.
MY car bogs and then surges when the gas is pressed down suddenly. The problem is worse when the car is cold, and often when fully warm it no longer does it.
I'm thinking it's the AFM. Does anyone have one that they would be willing to lend me to check if my hunch is right? I'd pay for the shipping. It would be a big help.

Greg A.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Greg I see that you had another post on this subject where you wondered if the throttle position switch could cause this.The answer is yes it could.Information on how to adjust it can be found at the link provided.This is Greg Gordon's tune-up article.I strongly suggest you go through the article methodically and perform the procedures exactly as described.Not only are you likely to resolve your "bogging" problem but you'll end up with better performance and reliability.
http://www.hiperformancestore.com/techarticles.htm
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Yes,
Thats a great page! I've gone through all those tune up procedures. I didn't find any problems. My throttle switch seemed to work in the reverse. i.e. there was no resistance when there was supposed to be, and resistance when there wasn't, but I think that's just the way mine works. So That leads me to believe that the problem is related to the AFM. I've opened it up, sprayed contanct cleaner on the mechanism. Everything looks to be ok, but how can i be sure really?

Greg
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Greg something is fishy ! "My throttle switch seemed to work in the reverse".I have included the procedures from the AR manual for both the 81-83 "full load switch" and the 84-86 TPS.Which one do you have ?
Attachments
TPS2.jpg
TPS2.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 5943 times
TPS.jpg
TPS.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 5943 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Murray,

You rock bud!

my car is an 83, but it has the 84 setup. it must be an inbetween car. I'll double check the TPS according to the test instructions. I'll keep u posted

Greg
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Murray,

I checked the T.P.S. It seems fine.
Where did u get those jpgs from?

Does anyone have a good used AFM for sale?
Marqui
Silver
Silver

Post by Marqui »

Que pasa people!

I had the same problem on my 3.0L and after days tampering with the AFM & TPS with no results; I blamed it on the injectors. I used an injector cleaner and the "bog" problem disappeared. Unbelievable! :shock:

Marqui
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

I had my injectors cleaned and flow tested, but that was not the problem. I'm still looking for a good used afm. Does anyone have one for sale?

thanks
Greg
Que Boludo
Gold
Gold

Post by Que Boludo »

Yeah i have one, but I'm in Australia.

I also have the 3.0L engine for sale.
I maka de list, you Justa geta the parts - OK! Wise words from the great master Toni Baloney – Ginger Fingers.